We are currently accepting applicants for our Summer 2017 HCAP Community Engagement Internship. Please see the below description for more information and qualifications. If you are interested in applying, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
2017 HCAP Community Engagement Internship
Who We Are: Planned Parenthood Association of Pennsylvania (PPAP) works on behalf of the three Planned Parenthood affiliates in Pennsylvania – Planned Parenthood Southeastern Pennsylvania, Planned Parenthood of Western Pennsylvania, and Planned Parenthood Keystone – to provide public education, advocacy, services and research related to family planning and reproductive health care.
The Health Center Advocacy Program (HCAP): Inside health centers, volunteers and staff educate patients about the policy world in which the services they are receiving exist. Outside the health centers, volunteers and staff disseminate information about our health services while also representing Planned Parenthood’s values across Pennsylvania communities. HCAP is run through the Planned Parenthood Association of Pennsylvania.
Why the Community Engagement: Communities of color, immigrants, LGBTQ+ folks, and individuals with unique abilities are facing immediate, dangerous policies that threaten their ability to live in a safe environment as their full, authentic selves with equal opportunity. These communities are our patients, staff, friends and family and we refuse to stand by as extreme policies that threaten their ability to receive health care and more are enacted. That’s why we’ve created this unique internship that will act as a building block to our understanding and addressing the needs of these communities while still providing on-the-ground support to Planned Parenthood’s efforts across the commonwealth.
- Build meaningful relationships with non-traditional community organizations that are led by and lead the work for the communities they serve by attending events and providing support to them as needed
- Collaborate and create meaningful opportunities/events with these partners
- Develop a shared vision of how PPAP and respective affiliate advocacy programs will look and operate after completion of this internship program
- Develop accountability measures to ensure that PPAP and respective affiliate maintains and grows relationships established with community partners
- Implement and cultivate affiliate’s Health Center Advocacy Program (HCAP) in the following ways:
- Create and set up advocacy stations in health centers
- Train and support health center staff in Health Center Advocacy best practices
- Organize and participate in “Healthy Neighborhood” canvasses to drive patients to health centers
- Organize and participate in Community Events to support Planned Parenthood and partner organizations
- Process new supporters, volunteers, and patient advocates you meet during your HCAP shift
- Promote reproductive health care in areas without PP Health Centers in the following ways:
- Promote community health care resources in areas without a PP health center
- Travel to other nearby health centers
- Commitment to reproductive health and rights for all Pennsylvanians, and to Planned Parenthood’s mission
- Commitment to inclusivity and embodying intersectionality
- Outgoing team player, independent worker, who is well organized and who can self-motivate
- Maintain a regular, but flexible, schedule with hours that suit both the intern and the office staff
- Must have access to a means of transportation to various community events, at times with boxes of swag and goodies for tabling purposes
- Intermediate computer skills
Please note this is typically an unpaid internship and requires at least 15-20 hours a week, however we will provide reimbursement for some travel and meals where applicable. It is possible that a limited number of stipends may be available. Additionally, this internship may be used for school credit. To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is April 25, 2017.